The Energy Transition is the Most Significant Financial Opportunity of the 21st Century
Our team is prepared to identify, nurture & grow tomorrow's climate tech unicorns, today
Europe is at the forefront of the global Energy Transition
Europe leads the world with ambitious climate goals, innovative policies, and regulations. GNE Finance is a significant player in Europe’s energy transition. We partner with consult the European Commission, World Bank, EIB, and other institutions, since 2017.
Since 2016, our Fintech intelligence unit has advised global policymakers. Insights from these business-to-government financing activities inform our investments.
UN sustainable development goals
GNE Finance investments contribute to a sustainable future. Outcomes include accelerating the Energy Transition, reducing CO2 emissions, and fostering local impact. Investments align with the following UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
Current Pipeline Estimated Energy Savings Impact
Financing for Equity (F4E®) Venture Capital combined with Asset-Backed Financing
Beyond the boardroom, active engagement with high growth companies
We are entrepreneurs, bankers, seasoned finance executives, and climate change technology experts. Though our backgrounds are diverse, we share a higher purpose to contribute to a sustainable future.
We envision a world where the economy operates without damaging the environment. Empowered and conscientious citizens produce, consume, and share resources in a thriving society. The age-old dilemma between economic growth and environmental sustainability is a thing of the past.
We’re on a mission to finance the Energy Transition. Venture Capital and structured finance are our tools. Our portfolio of Climate Tech start-ups generates measurable environmental and social impact. Investments result in CO2 reduction, green energy production, energy savings and job creation. We aim to be a reference for energy transition investment and financing.
Who we are
GNE Finance is an investment, financing, and advisory boutique prioritizing positive impact. Founded in 2016, we invest in early and growth stage Climate Tech companies. Portfolio companies have solid financials and a strong environmental and social impact.
Our Story. European Roots, Global Aspirations.
In 2023 we Trademark & Launch Financing 4 Equity. Expected results: increase in customer conversion, business volume and customer retention which will result into a 5x LTV (Life-Time Value of customers) , compared to base case scenario. In 2023, GNE Invest I - HoldCo. opens its doors to qualified early investors in an exclusive Club Deal format. GNE is working with advisors to determine its future legal structure. GNE Invest I is currently executing two investments that totals to a value of EUR 0.7 Mn. 2 investments in execution: 1 in Spain and 1 in Italy. One due-diligence executed. A second one in progress.
In 2022, supported by Repsol and independent investors, GNE Finance establishes its investment vehicle / holding company, GNE Invest I, in the form of a SL (Sociedad Limitada) / LLC (Limited Liability Company). In the same year, GNE Invest I invests EUR1.5M in a Ycombinator digital solar energy start-up for households’ leveraging on blockchain based in Spain.
Repsol Impacto Social invests in GNE and becomes an official sponsor of GNE Finance.
Since 2017, GNE is proud to have served and advised more than 11 projects of the European Commission (Horizon 2020 projects), the World Bank, and European Investment Bank. NE’s advisory track-record in the field of Energy Transition Finance is unique at EU level, with over EUR4Mn of projects awarded by the European Commission, the EIB, the World Bank and other institutional players, during the last 5 years.
GNE Finance is a recipient of multiple Horizon 2020 grants and has served and advised more than 11 European Comission Projects, in addition to collaborations with the EIB and World Bank.
Types of Investments
Through F4E®, GNE practices sustainable investing in two types of assets:
- Growth Companies – Equity
- Portfolios of projects – Asset-based Financing
Growth Stage Companies' Characteristics
- Generate recurring revenue: Project sponsors that have a demonstrated business model supported by our F4E model that supports the generation of recurring revenue from year 1 onwards.
- Diversified Portfolio: High diversification of projects, technologies, and counterparties within the energy transition
- Manage and controlled counterparty risk: Assured to have managed counterparties with the adequate corresponding profiles.
- Focused Geography: Principal focus on Southwest Europe with special focus in Spain and Italy.
Portfolios of Projects Characteristics
- Real Assets: Investments in tangible assets that can be identified, analyzed, and deployed.
- Green and proven technology: Rigorous technological standard testing and proof of concept are required and are validated.
- Resilient performance to external shocks: The importance and essence of the Energy Transition, its growth and nature of its services directly counter other external shocks.
- High SDG impact: GNE projects directly support 8 of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.